Top 10 Tuesday is hosted by BrokeAndBookish!
This week’s Top 10 Tuesday asks the question: What are the top 10 things that will instantly make you NOT want to read a book?
In no particular order…
- Cheating. I can’t stand a cheater! At this point, I can’t tell you how many books I’ve DNFed because the MC cheated on their spouse. Y’all, there is literally never an excuse to cheat on your partner. Ever.
- Love Triangles. I don’t think so. That’s borderline cheating. Hell, sometimes it IS cheating.
- When a slave owner falls for a slave. Because in a relationship like that, where one person owns another, the party that is “owned” doesn’t exactly have the ability to say no, do they? And if they do say no, will it be taken seriously? Will they be punished for saying no?
- Redemption arcs for Nazis/Nazi falling for a Jewish person. Get. The. Fuck. Out. I’m so tired of seeing this. It’s disgusting and it’s putting the pressure on the oppressed to make the oppressor see not only them but all of their people as human. Again, Get. The. Fuck. Out.
- Anything about “half-Natives” written by white people. Yes, David Arnold, I’m looking at you.
- Savages, dark skinned aggressors, “red people”. If the bad guys in your book are all brown, black, or “red” (we know who you’re talking about, asshole) guess what? You’re actually the bad guy.
- White savior trope. If your MC is an unassuming, privileged white girl who befriends a helpless PoC/Native and then decides to save them all… keep it to yourself. Or better yet, burn it.
- Rape. I don’t read any books involving rape.
- Wide age gaps. Especially when it involves teens and adults.
- Mothers dying. This is a very specific one, but I absolutely cannot read a book where the mother dies in the text. The last one I did read was THE CROWNING GLORY OF CALLA LILY PONDER and I absolutely cried for hours. It hits too close to home with the death of my own mom, so I steer clear as much as possible.
What are some of your “I don’t think so!” tropes and “Not today, Satan!” themes? Let me know in the comment section!